The history of the Frankston Baptist Church goes back to 1952. By that year several Baptist families had come to reside in the Frankston district and a meeting of seven people representative of those interested in the formation of a Baptist Fellowship was held on 22nd October, 1952 with Rev. J. Manning, Superintendent of the Baptist Home Mission Society. At this meeting it was decided to immediately commence a weeknight gathering for Bible Study & Prayer, followed on 10th May, 1953 by the inaugural Sunday morning service held in the R.S.L. Hall, Thompson Street, Frankston. Thus the Frankston Baptist Church was established and subsequently constituted in 1957 with 48 members.
During this early period the present land in Yuille Street was purchased, followed by the construction of a new church building, which was opened in 1958 and a manse. Rev. Adam Clarke was inducted as the church’s first Minister, followed by Rev. J.J. English in 1960.
During the first two decades of the church’s life, in addition to growing as a fellowship, help was given to start and/or support several churches in the area – Rosebud Baptist, Dandenong Baptist, Mornington Baptist (now New Peninsula Baptist), Frankston Forest Baptist, Hastings Baptist and Korumburra Baptist churches.
Rev R.R. (Bob) Payne was inducted as pastor in February, 1966 and so began a period of relocation and renewal. In December 1969, following the pastor’s “Presentation of a Vision” outlining the prospect of relocation from Yuille Street to acreage on the city’s outskirts, the decision was made by the church fellowship to sell the Yuille Street property and relocate to 12 acres in Robinsons Road, Frankston. During the early 1970’s development of the Robinsons Road property started with the construction of a double unit pre-school in which church services were initially held. The non-profit company known as the Frankston Baptist Centre was incorporated in 1973 and construction of the Manning Village was the first stage of the retirement village, with the first residents moving in in 1974. This village was the first and prototype Resident-Funded Retirement Village in Australia. A period of expansion followed on the Robinsons Road site, with the extension of Manning Village, the construction of the Grant Hostel (with church services being held in the chapel there) and the purchase of the adjoining 30 acres on which was built the Adam Clarke Village. Also established were a Nursing Home, a school in Stotts Lane (Full Blessing College), an Opportunity Shop and interstate ventures were also entered into at Wodonga, Monarto (Murray Bridge), Merimna (Nerang), Sydney and Southport.
However, all this was to come to a crashing halt as, in 1985 at a time of world-wide recession, the Commonwealth Bank withdrew its support, which put the Centre in serious financial difficulty, and the church was expelled from the Robinsons Road property. It was a time of great upheaval and devastation, but the Lord gives and the Lord takes away. The subsequent history of the retirement village is another story, but suffice it to say that it is still thriving as the Village Baxter as a testament to God’s provision and to Rev. Bob Payne’s God-given vision. Also the school that was begun eventually ended up as Flinders College and today is a significant Christian School in the Peninsula area. Going back to the history of the church itself, in 1971, following Rev. Payne and his wife Alison attending a Mid-America Renewal Conference at Lake Windermere, Missouri during which they were both baptized in the Holy Spirit, this subsequently led to the Frankston Baptist Church becoming the First Baptist Church in Australia to be “fully charismatic”, which caused considerable controversy within the denomination – as well as within the membership itself, resulting in several of the leaders leaving the church. In 1980 the decision was made to change the name of the church to the “Full Blessing Church”, as it was felt that this name would be more inclusive and descriptive of the life and expression of the Church and also more inviting to people in the wider church and non-church population. After the collapse of the Frankston Baptist Centre, the remnant of the church continued meeting on the 9th floor of the Peninsula Centre building in Frankston and gradually re-established as a fellowship. The church became an incorporated body in 1988 and purchased the original church and manse in Yuille Street to which it re-located. The church building was extensively renovated in 1995. Much has happened since then but more recently we have changed our name back to FRANKSTON BAPTIST CHURCH and we have called Rev. David Mitchelmore to be our official minister after serving as our interim minister since March 2014. Much has taken place and with God leading us much is still to take place. May we follow and serve Him faithfully.
Since 1991 the Full Blessing Church has been pastored by Rev. John Blacker, Pastor Norm Campbell, Pastor Merv Vose, Rev. Gordon Symons (interim), Rev. Bob Payne (again, for 8 years), Pastor Paul Longfield and its present pastor Rev. David Mitchelmore. In May, 2016 the fellowship voted to change its name to the “Frankston Baptist Church - Full Blessing”. It is a small fellowship which some may consider insignificant after the significant influence the church has had in the past, but God has honoured His church and His people and protected them through all the ups and downs of the past. We firmly believe that God is doing new things in our midst and that “more of the best is yet to come”.
Christian - in the Evangelical sense
Fundamental - in Theology
Baptistic - in Tradition and Government
Charismatic - in Expression and Practice
Missionary - in Outlook
Biblical - in Principle Compassionate - in Service
We are: Committed to pursuing the “Unity of the Spirit” between all elements of the Christian Church within our City (John 17:21 and Eph. 4:3).
We are: Mutually loving and supportive
Friendly and encouraging to visitors
“Light” and “Salt” in the Community
COME AND BE BLESSED
Copyright © 2018 Aussie Online Solutions - All Rights Reserved.